jueves, 8 de septiembre de 2011
CONNECTORS OF ADDITION AND CONTRAST
TIPS FOR WRITING
Connectors of Addition and Contrast
Read the pairs of sentences below. Which pair expresses similar ideas? Wich pair expresses contrasting ideas? Use the chart to help you.
1. Their team has got the best players. Moreover, their coach is fantastic.
2. Their team has got the best players. Nevertheless, they lost the last game.
CONNECTORS OF ADDITION: in addition, furthermore, moreover, as well as, also, and
CONNECTORS OF CONTRAST: however, nevertheless, on the one hand / on the other hand, in spite of / despite, although /even though, but
Choose the correct connector:
1. Lorena seems to be quite clever. ......., she often gets low marks.NeverthelessFurthermore
2. The service at this restaurant is excellent. .........., the food is delicious. HoweverIn addition
3. I've never been to Argentina, .........having relatives there. as well asdespite
4. Jordi is a careful driver. .........., he’s had several accidents. MoreoverHowever
5. Cristina loves playing sport, ........ she’s not very good at it. andbut
6. Anna is talented at music.......... art. as well asin spite of
Some connectors have got similar meanings but are followed by different structures. Despite and in spite of are followed by a noun phrase or a gerund.
We did not wear coats despite the cold weather.
I tried to look happy in spite of feeling terrible.
Even though and although are followed by a clause.
My car constantly needs repairs even though it’s new.
My cousin and I aren’t very close, although we’re the same age.
Choose the correct connector.
1. We're studying now despiteeven though there's an interesting film on TV.
2. I’d like to talk to you althoughin spite of I know you’re busy.
3. DespiteAlthough her efforts, she failed the exam.
4. Even thoughIn spite of we were having difficulties, we felt optimistic.
5. We didn’t win the game althoughin spite of all all our hard work.
Connectors are usually written in specific places in a sentence:
At the beginning of a sentence: in addition, furthermore, morover, howevrr, nevertheless, on the one hand, on the other hand.
Either at the beginning or in the middle: despite, in spite of, although, even though.
Only in the middle of a sentence: and, but, also, as well as
Rewrite the following sentences using the connector in brackets.
1. Isabel apologised several times. Nevertheless, Pau wouldn’t speak to her. (but)
2. We decided to walk even though it was raining. (in spite of)
3. Roger works very hard to help his parents. He’s also a good student. (In addition) (Two different sentences)
4. I’m keen on Ice cream. In addition, I’m keen on chocolate. (as well as)
5. You’re late again. Furthermore, you haven’t brought your books. (and)
6. On the one hand, I’d love to come. On the other hand, I really haven’t got the time. (However)
7. Rome is a great place to visit, but it has got terrible traffic problems. (despite)
Conjunctions: AND, BUT, BECAUSE, by deinha
Find this and other conjunctions exercises in English Exercises .org
WORD FORMATION - PREFIXES & SUFFIXES, by Carlos Reis
Find this and other parts of speech exercises in English Exercises .org